This one’s all about the robots. We talk about why most anime fans don’t really like robot shows, then Daryl reviews Gundam SEED Destiny: Final Plus and Gerald does a Creator Spotlight on Shoji Kawamori. Double ouch. Clarissa wraps things up by talking about The King of Braves GaoGaiGar.
Click Here to Download
We've decided to deviate from the usual course and do an episode devoted entirely to mecha and giant robots. We know, mecha is easily the least popular genre among anime fans in this day and age. So if this is your first time listening, please know that not all of our episodes are like this.
Introduction (0:00 - 9:24)
We open things up by talking about why mecha anime is unpopular even though a lot of people commonly associate anime with robots. Plus, since it was requested, we talk about Zambot 3! Did we mention none of us have SEEN Zambot 3?
Turner Classic Movies is showing Studio Ghibli movies every Thursday night for the month of January, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is the top-selling anime DVD of 2005, and Kevin Lillard from Fansview suffers a heart attack at Ohayocon then proceeds to go to Ushicon right afterwards because he's one hell of a trooper.
- A screenshot of the font Daryl hates so much, as taken from the Metropolis DVD
- The font used in the R1 Ghibli DVDs; it's actually a little different but it still sucks
Okay guys, here's the thing. This was originally like, 30 minutes of Daryl describing the entire Gundam SEED / SEED Destiny ordeal in detail, and since neither Gerald nor Clarissa have any knowledge of SEED anything, it's just Daryl talking for most of the time. Only tragedy can result from this. In an effort to not bore people, we have inserted a promo for Corn Pone Flicks that's not so much a promo as it is the audio to their very first short.
- List of dubs that The Ocean Group is responsible for
- AnimeSuki's Gear Fighter Dendoh page (BitTorrent links)
- Mecha Anime HQ's Gundam section containing extensive info on all things Gundam
- Interview with Mitsuo Fukuda where he mentions the per-episode budget for SEED was double that of your average show
- A different interview where Fukuda states he was not pressured by sponsors or executives when making Gundam SEED
- Japanese viewership ratings for every episode of SEED Destiny -- it's not quite what Daryl said it was
- Average ratings in Japan for every Gundam show to date; again, it's not QUITE as bad as Daryl thought
After subjecting everyone to a review like that, the least we could do is plug the podcast of a guy who specializes in doing anime reviews. We may not always agree with Aaron, but he's exceptionally thorough. We'll be sure to send him a promo to run on his show just as soon as we can actually get around to recording them.
Rotating Segment: Creator Spotlight -- Shoji Kawamori (36:46 - 51:45)
In this new segment idea, Gerald tells us all about Shoji Kawamori's career as both a mecha designer and a director while highlighting his strengths and weaknesses. Is this sort of thing interesting to people? Do Japanese language websites in the show notes help anyone out? I know I can't read them. Let us know via your feedback.
- Anime News Network's Shoji Kawamori entry
- Official Macross website (Japanese)
- ANN's Earth Girl Arjuna entry. Boy, that ANN database sure is a useful resource, huh?
- Official Crusher Joe website (Japanese)
- Official Dangaioh website (Japanese)
- Official Eureka 7 website
- Official Cyber Formula GPX website
- Official Sousei no Aquarion website (Japanese)
- Official Spring and Chaos website
- Bandai Entertainment
Clarissa opts to discuss GaoGaiGar as the overlooked anime for this week. Sure, GaoGaiGar is very well known among mecha fans, but non-mecha fans don't know that they should give it a shot too. Too bad all of them got scared off once Daryl started going on about Gundam, huh?
- Wikipedia's Brave series entry
- Wikipedia's GaoGaiGar entry (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)
- Anime-in-Action's BitTorrent files containing GaoGaiGar and GaoGaiGar Final (plus Gear Fighter Dendoh, but it too follows the Sunrise formula and they haven't subbed that far)
- Official GaoGaiGar website; they probably wouldn't like how we just told everyone where to download their show
Closing (1:11:04 - 1:13:05)
We're really sorry that this episode is as long as it was. Currently we try to shoot for around an hour long running time. Next time, Daryl premieres a new segment in which he compares a classic anime title to its corresponding contemporary remake. He's chosen Area 88 to be first with that. Gerald chooses a different kind of remake for his Often Overlooked pick in the Osamu Dezaki/Akio Sugino title Hakugei: The Legend of Moby Dick, and Clarissa's review is going to contain the thing that we all knew this show would end up containing sooner or later, YAOI. She'll be reviewing Sensitive Pornograph. We figure that'll rebalance the fandom scale now that we've talked mecha for an episode.
Wait, talking about Gundam SEED Destiny doesn't count for that?!