In this episode we talk about why harem shows all suck, why you NEED to buy Prefectural Earth Defense Force when it comes out, and how to fix conventions so the only people who'll attend them is us. Plus part two of the Patrick Macias interview!
Click Here to Download
Now then, the full show notes. Do people actually READ these things?
Introduction (0:00 - 12:37)
We respond to listener voice mail regarding Fist of the North Star, DearS, Love Hina, and Chobits. Daryl steals ideas from posts made by other people at Anime Jump without actively thinking of it. That site has INFLUENCE, so you should go there and check out their reviews and user forums.
- Official DearS website (Japanese)
- Geneon's DearS catalog listing
- Still the best Love Hina review of all time (must be viewed with Internet Explorer)
Let's News! (12:37 -25:55 or so)
Howl's Moving Castle got nominated for an Oscar, so we discuss whether it has a chance of actually winning. Manga Video lost the licenses to a bunch of titles, so we cross our fingers and hope that means someone will pick them up and give them proper releases. Plus, Prefectural Earth Defense Force got licensed, so we tell everyone why it's absolutely imperative for the sake of future anime releases that you go out and BUY that one. It'll only cost around $13, folks!
At This Point The News Gets Hijacked So We Can Alienate All Our Listeners (25:57 - 37:00)
Daryl starts talking about how Ushicon out in Texas has decided to not run conventions anymore, which eventually turns into him and Gerald talking about how everybody in the world of anime fandom sucks except for them. It's not quite the Final Solution, but outlandishly modest proposals are put forth regarding how to "fix" anime conventions. Note that despite our big talk, none of us is willing to put our money where our mouths are and actually staff a convention ourselves so we should really just shut up. Only if we did that, we'd have no show.
- The unofficial version of the story we got off Livejournal and therefore accept as truth
- The more PR-friendly official statement on the Ushicon homepage
- An explanation of exactly what the Overall Value Principle is; it's a pretty simple idea that everyone should be aware of
- Otakon's homepage
- The massively popular Shoryuken.com message boards, your one stop shop for all your "high-level tournament play" needs
- Penny Arcade Expo, a convention devoted to videogames
- Cosplay.com, a site which like all cosplay sites is read and frequented only by horrible human beings (I told you we're trying to alienate our entire listenership)
Interview -- Patrick Macias, Your F'in Gaijin Of Darkness, Part 2 (39:15 - 1:07:30)
The interview with Patrick that started in Show # 5 continues. Cromdor screams and thoughtbirds are afoot, as the notes for this segment illustrate. As with the rest of the interview segments, the volume on Daryl's mic is rather low. Don't worry, it doesn't matter what he says anyway.
- Danguard Ace, winner of the CPF award for Bullshit Potatohead
- Official Star Blazers webpage
- Pink Lady and Jeff
- StarBlazers.com's Blue Noah page
- Wikipedia's entry on Eiji Tsubaraya
- Guy Mariner Tucker's current whereabouts
- Wonderbug, in the event it was before your time (it was before ours)
- Viz's catalog entry for Tokyoscope (also by Patrick Macias)
- Robot Jox (c'mon, EVERYBODY knows about Robot Jox, right?!)
- IMDB's entry for Scatman Crothers
- Picture of a kigurumi that was at Anime Weekend Atlanta
- ANN's entry for Fred Patten
- Story about Peach Girl being PORN OUR CHILDREN READ (this was local to us)
- What The Iron Shiek's been up to lately (WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK OR CHILDREN OR PEOPLE WITH A SOUL)
Closing (1:07:30 - 1:09:34)
This show wasn't supposed to be quite this long, but the Ushicon-prompted Ten Minute Hate bumped things up a bit. We could have just cut it out, but that would have ensured people would actually LIKE us before we have the nerve to beg for votes at Podcast Alley, Podcast Pickle, and all that other stuff. Tune in next week when we do one solid hour of the Patrick Macias interview, featuring a Creator Spotlight on Kazuo Koike that spirals about as madly out of control as one of his plotlines!
Otaku Generation -- Talk about professional-grade production values: just look at their setup! This podcast only spends a portion of its time talking about anime and manga since a lot of the discussion focuses on technology type stuff, but make no mistake. They are to be feared even more than a soaking wet, revolver-toting, bathrobe-clad Ray Liotta.
Ninja Consultant -- The terrifying influence of Neil Nadelman's Totally Lame Anime panels extends to the farthest reaches of the Internet! This podcast is actually a lot like our podcast, except with smarter hosts and more Naruto discussion. What can we say, they both majored in film!