The show was running long this week, so we're pushing the Megacon report back yet another week. Clarissa explains it all about Eyeshield 21 and Gerald reviews the classic anime Taro the Dragon Boy.
Click Here to Download
Introduction (0:00 - 37:08)
We caught up on answering emails last week, and this week we catch up on answering voicemail. As always, we spent forever answering even the simplest of questions, so in order to keep this from taking up half the show, we put one of our longer responses here in the show notes. If you don't read these notes, then phooey to you! One of our readers, Patrick E. "Lobotomoy," does read the show notes. He decided to take a comment we had on the last show to heart and Photoshop the Karas logo. Here it is:
I guess that's officially our first fanart contribution other than the email from Golgo 13! Hmm, wonder if we should start asking for that stuff?
- Tokyopop's official Rebirth page - this is actually a Korean comic, not a Japanese one
- Toonzone review of IGPX - Gerald did NOT check on this like he said he would, so let it be said that the first disc apparently does include the shorts all strung together into one thing after all
- Ebook Japan (Japanese) - contains practically all of Kazuo Koike's works in downloadable format (if you pay)
- Bonus futanari discussion as advertised - this is not safe for work or children, and as a bonus bonus, you get a Discipline reading from the Happy House of Hentai!
- Anime Hell - what time does Midnight Madness start?
- Otaku Generation's interview with Jeff "Rich Lather" Tatarek
- AnimeMusicVideos.org listing of Jeff Tatarek's "Jigoku no Video" AMVs - includes a link to the Nausicaa AMV Daryl was talking about
- AnimeYume podcast
Let's News! (37:08 - 51:30)
We finally get around to mentioning how Media Blasters licensed Voltron and plans to release it in its original and English forms. Bandai acknowledges that everything we've been telling you about the US anime market all these weeks is true, and the Street Fighter II movie--one of the few videogame-to-anime adaptations that isn't absolutely awful--is finally going to be released uncut in America with the original Japanese track included.
Promo: Anime Pulse - go and answer their trivia questions so Daryl doesn't have to! There's prizes involved!
Review: Eyeshield 21 (51:30 - 1:15:13)
Clarissa reviews both the anime and manga for this currently-running Shonen Jump sports anime title. This quickly spirals out of control into a catch-all discussion on sports anime in general, namely the fact that so much of it is good stuff that nobody in America watches or reads. With any luck, we'll change a few people's minds on that.
- ANN entry for Eyeshield 21
- Wikipedia entry on Airsoft, which is really big in Asia -- basically, hopped up BB guns that are often extremely detailed replicas of real guns
- Eyeshield 21 first episode up on YouTube
Often Overlooked: Taro the Dragon Boy (1:15:13 - 1:28:18)
Gerald follows up his review of Discotek's release of Animal Treasure Island by reviewing their release of this classic theatrical anime film. To think he edited out the really good "Anime Bites" reference that Daryl and Clarissa made. Doesn't he realize that lending out that laserdisc to Seishun Shitemasu is the one worthwhile thing that Peter Payne has ever offered to anime fandom?! Now all he does is sell porno and T-shirts that say "looking for a Japanese girlfriend." This is what he bases his sense of self-worth on.
Closing (1:28:18 - 1:29:28)
We're going to be skipping a week due to us all having to prepare for Jacon next week. Whether that's next week or the week after next is anyone's guess, but we promise that Daryl's Search for THE TRUTH: Megacon Edition will be present. In fact, that whole show will probably just be answering emails, talking about the news, and that segment. Consider yourselves warned.