We skipped a week because of Jacon, but we're still lazy! As compensation for this relatively segment-light episode, we present to you the long-awaited next part of Daryl's search for THE TRUTH. This time, at Megacon.
Click Here to Download
Introduction That's Actually The Majority of the Show
We offer the lame excuse of having to devote all our free time to preparing for finals and anime convention panels, thus leaving us without time to put together proper segments. Fortunately, responding to listener feedback requires no preparation at all! We'll just try and mask the lack of preparation by listing each email topic:
- Keith from Teleport City writes us to defend the honor of Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight. He ain't joking around, folks. (5:10 - 9:40)
- Jenna from the UK writes us to ask our opinions on CLAMP, Fruits Basket, and what she should watch next given that she likes both. We completely forget to answer that last one. Whoops! (9:40 - 22:20)
- Shane, a self-described World War 2 buff, writes approvingly about Zipang and enlightens us on the relationship between Japan and the Nazis! Somehow we end up mentioning Gunslinger Girl. (22:20 - 25:30)
- Daniel opens up a can of worms by asking us what our favorite anime songs are. SEARCHING FOR ODIN, MY LOVE! (25:30 - 38:00)
- "Spanish Discipline Guy" Alfonso asks us about the feasibility of showing Crayon Shin-Chan on US TV, and requests that everyone go to Youtube and do a Crayon Shin-Chan search to see the clips he's talking about. (38:00 - 41:15)
- Jason wonders how much hentai dub actors get paid and what we think about "slice of life" shows, offering Piano and Koi Kaze as examples. This leads to us trying to figure out whether "slice of life" is really just a sugarcoated term for "nothing happens to advance anything." (41:15 - 48:50)
- Kori insists that she is not a girl. Wait, I just said "she." He wants to know what we think about A.I. Love You, so we tell him what we think about Ken Akamatsu and harem anime in general after reading the Wikipedia entry for A.I. Love You. Somehow hentai discussion gets thrown into the mix. (48:50 - 56:55)
Let's News! (56:55 - 1:13:39)
King of Braves GaoGaiGar, which we talked about in Show # 3, has been licensed by Media Blasters. Trinity Blood is getting released in theaters by Funimation, but Trinity Blood fails at being entertaining and if you like it you're dumb, so don't bother watching it. 4Kids has created new brands allowing them to butcher even more shows, and Super Robot Taisen Original Generations is announced for the PS2 in Japan. If the English versions of the GBA games sell well, then there's a good chance of this being released in America. Plus, for all you fans of dudes being rude, Animate has apparently acquired all of the Biblos catalog.
The Search for THE TRUTH: Megacon 2006 (1:13:39 - 1:27:28)
It's late by about three months, but Daryl's COMPLETELY NOT FILLED WITH LIES AND DECEIT journey to bridge the gap between himself and modern anime fans continues, bringing him to the science fiction convention known as Megacon, an event highly attended because it always happens at the same time as a national cheerleader conference located down the hall. But now isn't the time to get interviews with the guy dressed as Darth Vader posing with the Spirit Squad, since conventions are SERIOUS BUSINESS. Will THE TRUTH be discovered once and for all?
- Two alcohol-loving folks from Orange Anime dressed as Shanks and Black Kakashi, whose Black Sharingan was able to instantly see through Daryl's lies - note the suit ninja guy on the left jealous of being left out of the debauchery
- A roving pack of TRUTH heralds - they emailed me months ago asking when this report would come out; they were at Jacon this weekend doing more of the same only more aggressively this time
- DBZ fan for life - here's another shot; this still isn't as severe as that one guy who has the Yakuza level support for DBZ
- Mr Box from the front - and here's what's on the back; he also emailed a few times asking when this interview would be posted. Notice that the background of these pictures almost all contain some sort of subtle bonus joke
- Trevor Heins better watch out for his job - and here is the ultimate Chinese girl disguise
Closing (1:27:28 - 1:33:10)
Next week is our Jacon report episode. All three of us were there with press credentials and there is something like 13 hours worth of recorded material and 2 gigs of photos and video to parse through. We will probably end up using very little of it, but better to have too much than too little. Will we be joined by staffers from the con? It is a mystery! We close things off with the help of Jeff "Rich Lather" Tatarek and his time machine, which he used to travel back to the 1980s so that Look Around You's very own Synthesizer Patel could do a Discipline reading for us. The Maharaja Mack Daddy ain't got jack on the S to the P, son.