Our special guest (via a kind of flaky telephone line) is Ken Nabbe aka Joey Snackpants, the chair of JACON, a local Florida anime convention which all of us attended and ran panels at. We talk about the history of the convention and the club which founded it, what happened at JACON 2006, and what we can expect from JACON in the future. THE TRUTH about JACON will be revealed at a later date.
Click Here to Download
I have no idea why this episode isn't showing up in some of the feed readers. This episode's nearly two hours long, and since over half of it is the interview / anime con report, here's hoping that sounds okay. If you have audio engineering know-how and think we completely failed at making this listenable, let us know how not to fail.
Introduction (0:00 - 15:25)
With JACON, finals, and Gerald's graduation over and done with, we can once again get back to this podcast. Knowing full well that the interview was going to take up most of this episode, we try to keep this to about 15 minutes, and for once we sort of succeed. We answer listener emails about End of Evangelion, anime fandom in South Africa or the lack thereof, and people on the Internet who think Clarissa sounds hot. Actually, most of this time is spent talking about what we think of Fullmetal Alchemist. Thanks go out to all the other podcasts who've run our promos in recent weeks. Since this episode was already terrifyingly long on time and short on segments, we just mentioned them by name (hope we didn't forget any) and included links on the sidebar of our homepage instead of running all the individual promos.
- AnimeHELL.org post containing the entire audio to Daryl's Jacon Panel OF DOOM, for which a similar theme may or may not be reused at Anime Weekend Atlanta later this year
- ANN's page on Seiji Mizushima - Daryl notes that Slayers fans generally consider Slayers Next to be the best of the TV series, for whatever that's worth
- TV-Nihon, the folks doing the fansubs of Kamen Rider Kabuto and tons more tokusatsu (are there any other groups other than them who fansub tokusatsu?)
Let's News! (15:25 - 33:56)
ADV has officially announced that their release of the Area 88 OAVs (as discussed in Show # 4) is going to come out on 7/25 as one packaged deal for $30 MSRP, so everyone has to buy that, okay? International Correspondence version 2 estimates their size of the US manga market and offers speculations as to why, and in the "why are we reporting on this" department, there's supposedly going to be live-action film adaptations of Metal Gear Solid and Star Blazers. Folks, don't believe any live-action anime rumors until filming actually starts, okay? Tokyopop is gearing up to start releasing more novels, and Kitty Media is planning to release English editions of the hentai games for Bible Black and Discipline [Note from Daryl: This cannot be confirmed through any official sources, and so we plan on retracting this in Show # 20]. Hmm, I wonder if there's anyone out there who could tell us what Discipline is about by way of a voicemail message?
- IMDB entry for Versus, the best movie ever (and that better be what Otaku Generation says in their review which I haven't listened to yet)
- Dark Horse's Press Release on the Harlequin Manga - Yes ladies, this is manga meant for YOU!
- ANN's story on live action Star Blazers (don't believe it)
- Wikipedia's page on Uwe Boll (A man who has actually managed to give video game movies a worse reputation then they already have)
- ANN's page on Kino's Journey
- ADV's Official Site for Kino's Journey (This site has some more detailed information on the novels)
- Kitty Media's Official Site (This is definitely not work safe, but you already knew that)
- Biko 3 (Yeah, Google for this guys and see how terrible some of those h-games really are, and yeah, don't expect much work safe from that)
Promo: Kick Ass Mystic Ninjas (33:56 - 34:25)
If we had to pick one podcast that ours is the most similar to, this would be it. This is a podcast where two guys and a girl talk about works of classic science fiction, most of which people haven't heard of. They tend to stick only to old things though, and we try and keep a balance, though perhaps that hasn't been working out too well as of late. Daryl is quite proud of the fact that he knows all about Zardoz and these ALLEGED ninjas do not. Includes capsule anime reviews courtesy of the Weekly Anime Review podcast!
Interview: Ken Nabbe aka "Joey Snackpants," JACO member and JACON chair (34:25 - 1:46:55)
Yeah, this segment is about as long as we initially thought entire episodes would be. We explore just how cool do you have to be to be Ken Nabbe as we talk to him about JACON's past, present, and future. Oh, and we offer a convention report too, but it's not like it's THE TRUTH about JACON. Give Daryl some time on that.
Closing (1:46:55 - 1:52:24)
Next week, it's back to what is supposed to be our normal format which we seemingly never abide by, only it's our special "Resu Bean" episode. Gerald will be reviewing the hentai title Another Lady Innocent, Clarissa takes on the moe juggernaut of Maria-sama ga Miteru, and Daryl ignores the theme of the episode by discussing the Often Overlooked triumph of SCIENCE, Ippatsu Kikimusume.