The popular podcasts release their shows on time and foster communities out of their listeners. We are capable of neither of these things. The theme of this episode was "disasters," and that's what befell us all. Gerald was going to review Spriggan but couldn't find the words, Clarissa reviews the "gay porn only without the porn" title My Sexual Harassment (and eventually found the words), and Daryl's ongoing search for THE TRUTH leads him to the simple, startling, and plagiarized revelation that The Japanese Animation Convention is Decadent and Depraved.
Click Here to Download
Once again we're late releasing this thing AND it's 3 AM (er, 3:45 AM now that I'm done writing the basic outline for these notes). After nearly half a year now, we STILL have not gotten any faster or better at doing the editing on these things. Perhaps now is the time to start begging people to donate mixer boards and audio hardware stuff to us or something.
Introduction (0:00 - 26:39)
We start things off by responding to listener feedback. What anime should you show to your girlfriend? Why, who better to ask than a bunch of people that have never had one! Who are the lamest character designers in anime? How do we even FIND all this stuff we review? And why the heck don't we take a cue from the GOOD podcasts and set up some forums, an IRC channel, or ANYTHING that'd help build a community, anyway?!
- ANN's page on Legend of the Overfiend - while that page is probably work safe, NOTHING ELSE about the show is
- Wikipedia's entry on Captain Tsubasa - this show practically defined the art of lengthening scenes of a guy thinking about kicking a ball to span the course of three episodes
- Enoki Film's page on "Flash Kicker" - yep, Enoki rears it's ugly head with Captain Tsubasa as well it seems
- ANN's entry on Slam Dunk - screw it, THIS show is the king of dragging out useless action over the course of episodes. I mean, the manga went on for six years and covers FOUR MONTHS! DBZ's got NOTHING on this...
- A page of Keiji Goto's designs - look into those eyes and let them EAT YOUR SOUL!
- Cover of Dual with character designs by Masaki Kajishima
- Baki the Grappler official website - This is the show that Clarissa thinks has the ugliest character designs, but it is in fact TOTALLY FREAKING SWEET
- The Anime Network - WHAT IS ANIME? ANIME IS...
A bunch of anime titles supposedly have live-action versions being made of them. WHY did we bother to report on this, again? Plus, there's a place called Moe Burger now. We all demanded that Matt Alt and Patrick Macias head over to that vile place immediately to get pictures, but since this episode is so late, they actually did it already.
- Ravedactyl - remember, we are DESPERATELY looking for a DVD quality copy of that as well as Civilian Justice and Cy Girls!
- The very corporate official website of the Highlander Anime - hopefully starring Mario Van Peebles and RAMIIIIIIIREZZZZZZZZZ as they battle it out on PLANET GEIST
- The Funimation Channel - can YOU think of anywhere else they could show Crayon Shin-chan on TV in America?
- Moe Burger's website - some of the advertisements aren't that work safe, but the concept is not sanity safe so it all evens out
Gerald tried to convince us all that Spriggan absolutely sucked, but couldn't quite formulate a proper means of conveying that message. After days of trying to fix it all through re-recordings and editing, he gave up on it so that the rest of this episode could actually be released. We'd rather release nothing at all than something not up to our standards, minimal though they may be. Will Spriggan be reviewed in the future? Time will tell.
Promo: R5 Central (33:35 - 34:19)
You know what I just learned from listening to Otaku Generation this week? That that female robot filter effect Mike does in all his promos and episodes is supposed to be his sarcastic female AI cohost! You know, like how the villains in Bibleman all have that sarcastic female AI sidekick with the New Yawk/Joisey accent to gently remind the good children viewing the Trinity Broadcasting Network that people from 'round those parts are evil? All this time, I just thought he was doing it to be ridiculous, like when Wesley Willis would do it, but it's actually an homage to the Full Armor of God. Never leave home without it. Sure, there's OTHER tokusatsu shows out there with that type of character, but I KNOW this is what he was going for. Anime Central's been over for about two months now, and by the rate it takes us to get OUR con reports done, I'd say R5 Central's right on schedule.
Review: My Sexual Harassment (34:19 - 48:24)
According to our feed statistics, the least downloaded episode of all our shows is Show # 4 in which, among other things, Clarissa reviewed the yaoi title Sensitive Pornograph. Common sense would dictate that we shouldn't review any more of this stuff since nobody cares, but we'd rather just ignore that and review whatever we feel like. Thus, Clarissa EXPLAINS IT ALL, (HAW HAW HAW HAW) by reviewing the CORNIEST (HAW HAW HAW HAW) gay anime porn title of them all!
Promo: Chibi-Tokyo (48:24 - 49:00)
Sure, Daryl made fun of uh...that one guy for spending an hour talking somewhat incoherently about Fist of the North Star for over an hour while drunk, getting various minutia wrong in the process, but that's STILL more Fist of the North Star talk than you'll see on other podcasts outside of Fast Karate for the Gentleman and (I guess) R5 Central! So check these guys out. This promo is a Quinn/Martin Production. Also, Eli Nouguez will die just as he lived: alone and unloved, with tears in his eyes brought about by the sores growing within his urethra preventing him from beating off to his Waita Uziga collection without experiencing incredible pain.
THE TRUTH: The Japanese Animation Convention is Decadent and Depraved, Part 1 (49:00 - 1:02:45)
Daryl Surat has noticed how all the other anime podcasts refuse to reveal THE TRUTH about anime conventions, and that's been especially so as of late. Here's what all the OTHER podcasters and websites don't want you to know: anime conventions are a den of sin overrun by people whose interest in anime is but tangential or secondary to another, more primary interest, usually some freaky kink. The word has spread about anime cons being "safe" territory to practice one's deviancies without fear of retribution, and this is the result. In the first part of yet another SHOCKING and COMPLETELY NOT DISHONEST look at anime conventions in the light of the Katsucon and Megacon reports of shows past, Daryl once again does what those OTHER convention reporters don't have the BALLS to do, and that's flat-out lie, deceptively edit, and plagiarize for the sake of proving his pre-conceived conclusions. Just like the real news you see on TV!
- But three of the lycanthropes roaming the grounds
- "Pederast" isn't in this man's vocabulary
- A cyber Nazi and her demonic ball-jointed vessel containing the soul of Roberto Benigni
- Photos which adorned the walls of the Village Inn - Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3, Steve Buscemi
- The horrific result of a generation that looks up to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears
- The architect of life mastery; we'll be seeing much more of him in the coming weeks
- BRAIN PANTS
- The types of women who would attend host clubs if they existed throughout America
This episode is about the length we originally envisioned the podcast as being (as evidenced in our early episodes) by virtue of not having Gerald's segment. Perhaps we should put up that video of Daryl stabbing him to compensate. Next time, to make up for this week, Gerald will review Crusher Joe. Alas, it won't be the "I'm the leader of this team, 'CAUSE I'M THE WHINIEST!" version. Clarissa will review another "pretty boys in armor," show named Yoroiden Samurai Troopers better known to anime fans in the US as Ronin Warriors, and Daryl will discuss the Often Overlooked (except in previous episodes of this podcast) fan favorite of decades past, Prefectural Earth Defense Force. Well, provided he rewatches it first. He was supposed to do that today, but got caught up in...editing this.