We're back from Otakon and fighting off coughs and congestion, which is sure to make for fun listening these next few weeks. Clarissa reviews the manga Antique Bakery, Daryl discusses the MANLY CARTOON that is New Getter Robo, and Gerald opines on the limited edition release of Patlabor the Movie 2.
Click Here to Download
Introduction (0:00 - 31:45)
It's voicemail time! Carter says what we would have said about the Welcome to the NHK anime, Matt from Queens wants to know what the deal with Oban Star Racers is, and Angel D the Scary Yaoi Fangirl (her description, not ours) has a message that forces everyone to throw down the gauntlet. It has to do with cosplay and what we think of Knight Hunters: Weiss Kreuz.
Let's News! (31:45 - 42:09)
The bad news is that Suzuoki Hirotaka, the seiyuu for Bright Noah from Mobile Suit Gundam among other things (such as Shachi of the Hokuto Ryuu Ken from Fist of the North Star 2), and Kouji Totani, the seiyuu for Jagi from Fist of the North Star, are both dead. The good news is that there's going to be more Giant Robo anime next year. No, really. It probably won't be a continuation of the OAVs, but we take what can get around here.
- ANN's Page on Suzuoki Hirotaka
- A comparison shot between the Bible Black Japanese version and American DVD (NOT WORK SAFE) (FIXED)
Review (manga) - Antique Bakery (42:09 - 55:50)
Clarissa reviews this shojo title from DMP that is NOT GAY PORN. No, really, it's not. Well, there's gay porn doujinshi out there using the same characters that's also drawn by the original author of this. Man, how do you get away with THAT? Anyway, this is a release by DMP which is stocked next to all the gay porn at bookstores, so if you avoided it because you thought it was gay porn or could be construed as such (doubtful, considering where the growth in the manga market is), prepare to be schooled. Unfortunately, there are apparently no solar hands or Dempsey Rolls in this manga.
- Antique Bakery listing on DMP's site
- Wikipedia entry for Antique, with more detailed character writeups
- Neutral scanlated one of Yoshinaga's Antique Bakery doujins, so if you want the great characterization and humor of the series along with the mansex that wasn't in it, go check it out
We met up with Dave and Joel at Otakon this past weekend and went on grand excursions. Listen to their latest episode and hear them talk about how awesome we are. Lord knows you don't hear enough of that on this show already! Plus if you check the archives of their older shows, you'll see that they spend multiple episodes talking about...
Review: New Getter Robo (56:57 - 1:16:00)
Daryl informs the Internet about this 2004 remake of Go Nagai's seminal super robot series. New Getter Robo is a magnificent 13-episode violence epic released by Geneon that nobody bought, presumably because the only way to sell super robot shows in this day and age is to make them like Gravion or Godannar in which there's equal or greater parts cheesecake fanservice. The hell with THAT. After hearing this review, Gerald flat-out said that this is a series he does not want to see because of this review. The show may very well be good, but Daryl's review makes him NOT want to watch it. That is the kind of review this is, and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln.
- Wikipedia's entry for Getter Robo - very general overview, which really is all you need
- ANN's entry for New Getter Robo - lots of Harmony Gold alumni in the dub cast; oh hey, Abe Lasser and Tom Wyner are the same person
- Gekiganger 3 - a parody of Getter Robo created as a "show within a show" for Martian Successor Nadesico, it is vastly more entertaining than Nadesico itself
- Kentucky Fried Movie - a film everyone should see
- A thread on the Anime Jump forums that Daryl made two years ago about this OAV - essentially identical to what is stated here; due to spammers, you need to register on the boards to see the thread
Promo: Ninja Consultant (1:16:00 - 1:17:00)
We also met up with Erin and Noah at Otakon. Noah thinks Daryl is a fascist, and alleges to be able to read his mind like it is an open book on account of him being identical to someone else he knows. Daryl thinks clowns might be present in the ATL, but perhaps the worse torture would be to have Noah spend his life with a COSPLAYER. Especially one such as Erin who made a terrifying film right on convention grounds. It's a good thing Clarissa hasn't seen this movie...YET.
Review: Mobile Police Patlabor the Movie 2, Limited Edition (1:17:00 - 1:35:13)
Gerald got to this one before Daryl could review it, so as revenge, Daryl has left this segment unedited from what Gerald sent him. That's showing him! This is one of the best anime feature films ever made and we could realistically have spent an episode talking about this. Also, the anime version of Daryl Surat is in the film. Actually, Daryl saw this film and decided he'd get those kinds of glasses since he already had the hair. He no longer has those glasses. But he will get them back someday, unless he gets LASIK or something. Seriously though, see this film...after you watch through the rest of the Patlabor anime first. Daryl forgot to mention during the recording, but...
- AnimeResearch.com - a site run by Brian Ruh, who wrote a book about Mamoru Oshii's films entitled Stray Dog of Anime...wow, there was a hardcover edition of that?
- ANN's page on Patlabor 2
- Honneamise's official site for Patlabor 2
Closing (1:35:13 - 1:38:49)
Next week, it's our Anime Festival Orlando report with our special guest, con vice president Erik Reiss! This convention is where THE TRUTH just might have died once and for all. Perhaps. You'll have to tune in to find out WHY.